Friday, December 14, 2012

Weak church

I'm reposting here a comment I made on the wall of my friend Melita Eclavea's FB:
 
Wish the church had shown the same indignance over corruption in GMA's administration as it does now over the RH bill. Sadly, it didn't. The priests appear to be more interested in topics about sex than in topics about good governance; in topics that are really more personal in nature than topics that unite a community. And they didn't care that the country's highest officials stole money from their bosses: the people. All they said at that time was: "Lahat naman nandadaya."

It's true, the church is weak when it comes to issues that affect the whole country--and the government itself. I always remember somebody saying that if the church had been more vigilant, more outspoken and took greater risks at the time the Jews were being hunted, there wouldn't have been a "holocaust." 

I'm a bit torn about this RH bill because the major issues that have to be addressed here are never spoken of in the open. Morality is being highlighted, because that's the only discussion point the church can participate in. What do people who have made vows of celibacy know about marriage challenges and intimacy between two legally married people who don't want to have a big family? Why are we listening to the voices of those who are not considered experts in that topic, anyway?

Never mind. Some people use their power to push their opinions into one's face. It isn't always the truth. But then, when will we ever learn?

No comments:

I'm Sooo Back!!!

I really don't recall why I stopped blogging. Was I b usy? Had too much work? A lot happening in my life? I have totally no recollection...